Configuring an Extension and a user in Asterisk or FreePBX
Planning to configure E.164 extension and user in Asterisk?
I am sure most of you by now are aware how to install Asterisk in VMware Workstation or ESXi. In case you missed to read the article, here is the link.
Once Asterisk is installed, it’s time to configure an extension and user in Asterisk.
The first and the foremost is to create an extension in Asterisk:
Creating an extension in Asterisk / FreePBX and enable voicemail.
- Login to Asterisk.
- Click on PBX> Click on PBX Configuration.
- Select “Generic SIP Device” from the drop down menu and click on Submit.
- Extension Number > Enter a Extension Number
- Display Name > Enter User’s Name
- Ring Time > Enter number of seconds you want the phone to ring before it goes to Voicemail
- Call Waiting > If you want to enable call waiting, select Enable from drop down menu
- Secret > Enter a alphanumeric password or secret of your choice
- Voicemail Status > Select Enabled if you want to provide voicemail services to the user
- Voicemail Password > Enter a Voicemail Password which the user will type to retrieve the voicemail.
- Click on Submit.
(Note: There are many fields we left it while configuring extension as they were not relevant for us at the moment. You may configure those fields if they are relevant for you.)
The next this is to create a user in Asterisk:
Creating a user in Asterisk / FreePBX.
- Click on System > Users > Create New User
- Enter a Login Name >
- Enter a Name >
- Enter a Password and repeat password >
- In the Group > Select Extension from drop down menu
- Extension > Select the extension from drop down menu which you want to map with the user you are creating
- Webmail User > Enter a webmail user id (if webmail is enabled for the user)
- Webmail Password > Enter a webmail password (if webmail is enabled for the user)
- Click on Submit
That’s all! In the next article, we will learn how to register a SIP Device or Softphone to Asterisk.